Stephen J. Mayfield is a Partner at York Howell, practicing primarily in the areas of estate planning, business law, asset protection and probate. With licenses in Utah, Nevada, and Wyoming, Mr. Mayfield assists clients with the various estate planning and asset protection strategies available in these states. His business practice includes mergers and acquisitions, private placement investments, employment and non-disclosure/non-compete agreements, trademark registrations, and business succession planning. He has formed numerous limited liability companies and corporations with emphasis on optimal tax structuring and documentation. With his LL.M. in Taxation, he has vast experience in tax matters including compliance, non-profit and charitable planning, as well as handling audits and disputes with the IRS.
Mr. Mayfield’s probate practice includes general probate administration, trust administration, guardianship, conservatorship, and trust and probate litigation. He has also testified as an expert witness and prepared expert witness reports in the areas of trust and probate litigation.
Mr. Mayfield lives in American Fork, Utah. His personal interests include cycling, skiing, and playing guitar.
Areas of Practice:
- Estate, Asset, and Tax Planning
- Corporate Law and Governance
- Probate Administration and Litigation
- Trust Administration and Litigation
- Elder Law and Guardianship
- Federal Tax Law
- Denver University, 2005, LL.M
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (Illinois Institute of Technology), 2004, JD
- University of Utah, 2000, BA
Memberships and Positions:
- Utah State Bar
- Nevada State Bar
- Wyoming State Bar
- Salt Lake Estate Planning Council
- Legislative Liaison Committee, Utah State Bar, 2016 – Present
- The Food & Care Coalition, Board Member, 2014 – Present
Mr. Mayfield has been named as a Utah Business “Legal Elite” in Mergers & Acquisitions for 2018 – 2020.