Stephen J. Mayfield is a Partner at York Howell & Guymon, practicing primarily in the areas of corporate transactions, emerging entities, asset protection and estate planning. He has broad experience in all things related to business law including mergers and acquisitions, private placement investments, employment and non-disclosure/non-compete agreements, trademark registrations and business succession planning. Mr. Mayfield’s business practice includes assisting entrepreneurs form limited liability companies and corporations with optimal tax structuring and documentation. He also advises medical professionals with practice administration, compliance, and restructuring. With his LL.M. in Taxation, he has vast experience in tax matters including compliance, non-profit and charitable planning, as well as handling audits and disputes with the IRS.
Mr. Mayfield is also experienced in all things related to probate, estate and trust administration, guardianship, conservatorship and trust and probate litigation.
Mr. Mayfield is licensed in Utah, Nevada and Wyoming and assist clients from around the country in taking advantage of the favorable asset protection laws and devices available in these jurisdictions.
Mr. Mayfield lives in American Fork, UT where his children are part of the nationally acclaimed American Fork High School Marching Band. He is also an avid cyclist and skier.
Areas of Practice:
- Estate, Asset, and Tax Planning
- Corporate Law and Governance
- Probate Administration and Litigation
- Trust Administration and Litigation
- Elder Law and Guardianship
- Federal Tax Law
- Denver University, 2005, LL.M.
- Chicago-Kent College of Law (Illinois Institute of Technology), 2004, JD
- University of Utah, 2000, BA
Memberships and Positions:
- Utah State Bar
- Nevada State Bar
- Wyoming State Bar
- Salt Lake Estate Planning Council
- Legislative Liaison Committee, Utah State Bar, 2016 – Present
- The Food & Care Coalition, Board Member, 2014 – Present
Mr. Mayfield has been named as a Utah Business “Legal Elite” in Mergers & Acquisitions for 2018 – 2020.